Current Treatments for Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
Polycystic ovary syndrome treatment generally focuses on the management of other concerns of the individual such as infertility, hirsutism (hair growth), acne or obesity.
Certain changes such as losing weight can help treat hormone changes and health conditions such as diabetes, high blood pressure, or high cholesterol.
Medications that are often prescribed to treat targeted symptoms include:
- Birth control pills to make your periods more regular. Such medicines may also help reduce abnormal hair growth after you take them for a few months. Many birth control pills have side effects, however, but most are tolerable.
- Low-dose birth control pills that contain a combination of synthetic estrogen and progesterone are one option. They decrease androgen production and give your body a break from the effects of continuous estrogen.
- Progesterone pills taken 10 to 14 days each month. These regulate the menses and offer but don't improve androgen levels.
- Metformin (Glucophage, Glucophage XR), an oral medication for type 2 diabetes that lowers insulin levels. This drug improves ovulation and leads to regular menstrual cycles. Metformin also slows the progression to type 2 diabetes if you already have prediabetes and aids in weight loss if you also follow a diet and an exercise program.
- Ovulation drugs to help make your periods regular and help you get pregnant. These include:
- Luteinizing-releasing hormone (LHRH) analogs
- Follicle Stimulating Hormone (FSH) analogs
- Clomiphene citrate, an anti-oestrogen medicine, which helps your ovaries grow and release eggs
- Medicines for excessive hair growth including:
- Spironolactone or flutamide pills - that block the effects of androgens on the skin. This drug may cause birth defects, however.
- Eflornithine external cream to reduce facial hair
For a full profile on a drug you may be taking, visit Drugs.com or Rxlist.com and simply enter the name.
If you have tried one or more conventional therapies for this disorder, or even one or more alternative therapies including herbs, but yet still find that they have made little difference and that you are still suffering, try JaSciRes.
If you've never tried a herbal treatment for your disease, you're at the right place.
Our products make a world of difference to your health and well-being.